17, 18, 19 June, 2011
Visit the Colony
View Maine Swedish Colony sites in a larger map (includes a listing of sites).
Zoom in to
see detailed site locations.
jump down to
our travel directions: How to Get Here
Places to stay
Within the Colony
(about 10 minutes south of New Sweden)
- Caribou Cabins 4 cabins.
Inn and Convention Center, 73 rooms,
- Crown Park Inn 207-498-3311, 59
- Russell's Motel, 207-498-2567, 14 units. Donna Murchison
Iron Inn B&B, 207-492-4766, 4
bedrooms. Our good friends Kate and Kevin
- Riverside Court Motel 207-498-6071, 20 rooms
(about 30 minutes south of New Sweden)
- Hampden Inn (new)U
- Budget Traveler Motor Lodge 1-800-958-0111,
207-769-0111, 62 rooms
- Presque Isle Inn/Convention Center 1-800-533-3971, 764-3321, 151 rooms
- Hedrich's Motel 207-768-5741
- Northeastland Hotel 1-800-244-5321, 207-768-5321, 51
- Northern Lights Motel 207-764-4441, 14 rooms
Long Lake Area
(about 30 minutes north of New Sweden)
- Cozy Log Cabins,
St. Agatha 207-543-6349
- Long Lake Motor Inn, St.
- Ginny's Lakefront camping 207-543-9387
- Long Lake Camping 207-543-7563
- Long Lake Camps 207-543-6390
- Lakeview trailer sites 207-543-6331
- Peggy's Bed and Breakfast, Limestone 207-325-4675
- Trafton Lake Campground, Limestone, 207-325-3439
Campground, Loring 207-328-4643
- Brookside Manor Motel, Van Buren 207-868-5158
Rapids Inn, Crouseville 207-455-8069
Places to eat
- Near East Kitchen , Bennett Drive,
- Burger Boy, Sweden Street, 207-498-2291
- Burger King, Bennett Drive, 207-498-3500
- Cindy’s Sub Shop, Sweden Street, 207-498-6021
- Frederick’s South Side, South Main
- Greenhouse Restaurant, Rt. 1 & 164, 207-498-3733
- Houlton Farms Dairy (Ice Cream), Bennett Drive, 207-498-8911
- Jade Palace Restaurant, Skyway Plaza, Bennett
- McDonald’s, Bennett Drive, 207-498-2181
- Ouellette’s Variety & Alice’s Bakery, 207-496-0402
- Par & Grill, Bennett Drive, 207-492-0988
- Pizza Hut, Bennett Drive, 207-498-8523
- Reno’s Family Restaurant, Sweden
- Subway, Bennett Drive, 207-493-4520
- The Gathering, Van Buren Rd. Rt. 1,
- Tim Horton’s, Bennett Drive
- Stan’s is gone.
After 45 years, Stan has retired. We all miss him very much.
- Eureka Hall, Center of Town (reservations
- July 4 , Swedish Pancake Breakfast. Berries and whipped cream; bean-hole beans. Yum!
- July 4, hotdogs and hamburgers lunch at the American Legion
- Northstar Variety, Rt. 161, 207-896-3239
- Saturday: Breakfast- 5:30-9:00 AM Thomas Park-
- Lunch- Hot Dogs, punch, ice cream Capitol
School Grounds (MSC)
- Sandwiches, coffee Museum Grounds (NSHS)
- Supper- 5-5:30 Swedish Smorgasbord School-
West Road (Covenant Women)
- 5-5:30 Family Swedish Supper Lutheran Church
- Sunday: Luncheon: 11:30 Thomas Park (NSHS)
How to get
Thanks to Shelly Timber for these driving
- If you are south of New Sweden, Maine, get to
Interstate 95 from wherever you are, Be prepared for tollbooths and
turnoffs to stay on rte. 95 all the way north.
- Take exit 302, "Houlton, Rte. 1." Turn left.
- Stay on rte. 1, through Presque Isle, all the
way into Caribou. At the 2nd traffic light, turn left to stay on rte. 1
(after you turn, a Ford dealership will be on your right).
- Continue for about 6 miles till you see the
historical sign for the "Swedish Colony" on your left. Just after it,
turn left onto Emond Rd.
- Continue on this winding country road for about
4 miles. It will take you to New Sweden, and the Midsommar Festival
will be on your right.
Colony Map from the Colony Guidebook. There are some miscellaneous maps on the links page.
Please suggest a link to be included here. Send email to: Bill Duncan, email@example.com.
^ Jump to Top of Page
Site comments, correcctions, and questions? No change is too small –
email the official web trolls: John Hede, firstname.lastname@example.org and Bill Duncan, Bill@WilliamLDuncan.com
©2010 Site hosting courtesy of WilliamLDuncan.com. Buy his stuff to help support this site. Site built in the Maine Swedish Colony by gnomes. This site was originally developed with assistance of a Discovery Research grant from the Maine Arts Commission, the New Century Fund of the Maine Community Foundation and the historical societies of the Maine Swedish Colony.